Guest Blogger - My Mum - Christmas Cake

I've finally convinced another person to be a guest blogger and this time its my Mum. She has blogged about her fabulous Christmas cakes which for the last 3 years I've had to miss out on because of the fact I'm in another hemisphere and all. This year will be different as I will shortly travel to the other side of the world just to be able to sample some of this fine cake which I miss thoroughly.

This is What My Mum Made

 

Well this is my first attempt at writing something that actually made sense. Lets see how it goes....

Years ago I decided to take over the role of Christmas cake maker. Looking though endless books I finally decided to try this one. It a recipe by little Scottish lady, who was and still is the matriarch of Australian cuisine - Margaret Fulton. This lady would immediately make me think of my mum Peg (if you didn't know Peg is also short for Margret) who was also a little Scottish lady who made lovely Christmas cakes, however she never gave me a recipe and alas with most knowledge has gone to the grave with her.

I don't know where to start with my cake as I moan and groan each year about making it. All that effort and time for one day a year and then by the end of the day everyone is to stuffed to think about having some. But the beauty of this cake it is meant too keep for sometime. I make it early in the year in either October or November, then the trick is to feed it regularly with a nip of spirits a couple of times a week, Brandy rum sherry what ever spirits you have.


When I'm mixing the cake I always make sure whomever is in the house at the time has a go at mixing it too as its quite a heavy handed job and then you will also get to make a wish too. And in the end the cake is made with love and I'm hoping that with a little piece of cake served, a little piece of love is served too.


To all my family and friends may you have the happiest Christmas ever....

Love Anne

This is my Mum's cat Miso.. so adorable I'd thought I'd share

No comments:

Post a Comment