Women's Weekly - Lavender Shortbread


Since my last post I've been thinking about how I can go about setting baking goals... and sticking to them. So I've decided that I'm going to bake OR cook something from each of my cookbooks. I have quite a few and a large percentage of them I have never used and therefore I have to use them or lose them... as my mum use to say!


I would say that I will do this every week or month as it just won't happen, but I'll play out specific days in my diary that I can complete a recipe.

 

So my first recipe is from a cookbook my dad sent me a few years ago… the Women’s Weekly High Tea cookbook. He knows me well! I have had this jar of lavender in my cupboard and just needed the perfect recipe to use it up.


Lavender Shortbread
by Women's Weekly 

250g unsalted butter, softened
75g caster sugar
1 tablespoon water
300g plain flour
100g rice flour
2 tablespoon dried edible lavender, chopped coarsely
2 tablespoons Demerara (light brown) sugar

Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease oven trays.

Beat butter and caster sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, transfer to large bowl. Stir in the water, sifted flours and half the lavender, in two batches.

Turn dough onto floured surface, knead gently, until smooth. Shape dough into two 6cm x 20cm rectangle logs, cut into 1cm slices. Place about 2.5cm apart on oven trays, sprinkle with demerera sugar and remaining lavender.

Bake shortbread about 20 minutes. Stand 5 minutes, transfer to wire rack to cool. 


And if you live in Australia anywhere near Byron Bay, grab yourself some of this tea, it goes perfect with a side of shortread.


Happy Baking x

1 comment: