Sweet & Salty Popcorn

I use to love going to the cinema. My friends and I back in Australia use to go for a girls night about every two weeks as it was a cheap night out for us and a good way to catch up frequently. 

Now that I live in London, going to the cinema is definitely a 'pay day' activity (though most things in London are pay day activities), so I don't tend to go nearly as much as I use too. 

At the weekend, I was lucky enough to catch two films, The Fifth Estate and Captain Phillips.

I enjoyed both films, however Captain Phillips really stood out for me and I thought was brilliant. Though the film struck me on another level, as I work in Marine Underwriting, it was really confronting to see what the crew of these ships can actually be confronted with in in their everyday job. Its very easy to remove yourself from what we do in the London office from the reality of what can happen at seas everyday. It is definitely
 a must see, and Tom Hanks is fantastic (as always). 

Anyway, I thought I would just share my little tip for making going to the cinema a little bit more enjoyable and that is making your own popcorn. Seriously so much better than the stale stuff they serve for way over the top prices.

Sweet and Salty Popcorn 

60ml Vegetable Oil 
120g Popcorn kernels 
60g sugar 
1 tsp sea salt 

Heat oil over medium heat in a large saucepan and add the popcorn kernels. 
Cover the pan with a well fitting lid and shake to coat the kernels with oil. 
When the oil starts to sizzle, sprinkle the sugar over the kernels. 
Replace the lid and continue to shake the pan occasionally until the popping stops. 

Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 30 seconds. 
Toss the popcorn and salt together. 

And so a special treat, maybe mix some sweets into the bag!


Happy Baking x

No comments:

Post a Comment