"Easy as Pie"

I have to admit I had not heard of Key Lime Pie until about 18 months ago and I have no idea how I missed that boat as I love limes. However it wasn't through reading baking websites, it was this guy.



For those of you who haven't seen Dexter, it all happened in Season 3 Episode 7, aptly named "Easy as Pie". The episode name makes reference to one of Dexter's old friend's who asks for help in ending her life when she is dying from terminal lung cancer. Not to give to much away for those who have not watched it, but the pie has a lot to do with it. Also who wouldn't want Michael C. Hall feeding you pie... 



Ever since then I've wanted to bake one, but a pie is such an occasion dish that I never got around to it until last night, which also coincidentally coincides with the air date of Season 7. EXCITED!



The Hummingbird Bakery Key Lime Pie

Makes 10 - 12 slices

8 egg yolks
2 x 397g tins condensed milk
5 limes, zested and juiced, plus extra zest to decorate
450ml whipping cream

Crust
500g digestive biscuits
200g unsalted butter, melted

23cm pie dish, greased


Tip: While I was baking, I was also talking to my younger Sister Aimee who is a amazing chef in Brisbane. I asked her for something inventive I could do with 8 left over egg whites as it seemed a waste to throw them out and I have never thought of this, but she said just to freeze them. My mum later informed me you can also buy frozen egg whites from the supermarket. Amazing! So I measured out the egg whites and put them in individual containers for another day.

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius

To make the crust, roughly break up the digestive biscuits and put them in a food processor (since I don't have a food processor, I released my angry by bashing them with a rolling pin in a tea towel). Process until finely ground. Slowly pour the melted butter into the processor while the motor is running (or mix well in a bowl). Press the mixture into the base and neatly up the side of the pie dish, using the ball of your hand or a tablespoon to flatten and compress it.




Bake the crust in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until deep golden and firm. Set aside to cool completely.
Turn the oven down to 150 degrees Celsius.

Put the egg yolks, condensed milk and lime juice and zest in a glass bowl and mix gently with a balloon whisk until all the ingredients are very well incorporated. The mixture will thicken naturally.



When you are ready to serve the pie, whip the cream with a hand-held electric whisk in a large bowl until soft peaks form, then spread over the pie and decorate with a little lime zest. As we weren't going to eat the pie in one sitting, I just served the cream on each slice.



Happy Baking x

1 comment: