Stem Gingernuts

Spring lied to me! 

Saturday morning I woke up early for yoga, to a chilly but mild, bright sunny day. I could see all the way to Ally Pally from the top of my street...


I was only in my yoga class for just over an hour; but by the time I came out it, winter had returned and then sun was nowhere to be seen. I walked home in the cold, without gloves hoping it didn't start to piss down with rain. Luckily I felt so good (if not sore) from my yoga. 

When I got home and after warming up my hands, which had not quite yet turned blue but we're not far off, decided to stay in and bake cookies. 

I had a jar of stem ginger in my fridge and found this gem of a recipe in The Great British Book of Baking. It's a simple recipe that doesn't need any equipment besides a bowl and spoon. 


Fingers crossed Spring returns soon. 

Stem Gingernuts

by The Great British Book of Baking

350g self-raising flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
200g caster sugar
115g unsalted butter
85g golden syrup
1 egg, beaten
35g (2 pieces) stem ginger, drained and finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 170°C 

Sift the flour, ground ginger, bicarbonate of soda and sugar into a mixing bowl. Gently melt the butter with the syrup in a pan over a low heat and set aside until barely warm. Pour this mixture into the mixing bowl, add the beaten egg and the stem ginger and mix with a wooden spoon. When thoroughly combined, roll the mixture into 24 balls, using your hands. 

Arrange on the prepared baking trays, spacing them well apart to allow for spreading. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until good golden brown. Keep an eye on them and, if necessary, turn the trays around halfway through the cooking period so that he biscuits brown evenly. 

Leave the biscuits to cool on the trays for a couple of minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely. 

Store them in an airtight container.


Happy Baking x  

1 comment:

  1. The moment upon a period of time, university students were definitely obliged to carry out almost everything alone. https://eliteessaywriters.com/review/affordablepapers-com/

    ReplyDelete